-2.1 C
New York City
Monday, October 18, 2021
Home CRIME&SECURITY Over 8,000 Terrorists surrender in Northern Nigeria

Over 8,000 Terrorists surrender in Northern Nigeria

The Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division, Brig.-Gen. Abdulwahab Eyitayo has said more than 8,000 Boko Haram terrorists have so far surrendered to troops.

He said the terrorists surrendered from their enclaves in Sambisa Forests, as well as other hideouts.

Eyitayo, who is also the Commander, Sector 1, Operation Hadin Kai, disclosed this during a visit by the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu and a team of Defence Correspondents form Abuja on Tuesday, in Maiduguri.

He said the surrender by the repentant terrorists was a welcome development, adding that, the overwhelming fire power of the troops was responsible

According to him, one of the reasons they are surrendering in droves is the overwhelming fire power from the troops.

” It is because every man’s endeavour is motivated by his family’s wellbeing, that is why they are coming out with their families. We started seeing the signs from June.

“Our intensified operations had blocked their logistics’ routes and supplies, bombardments all over, that is why they started surrendering and diseases have overpowered many of them.

“It was better because in the end, the troops will clear all of them and their sympathisers combined,” he said.

The GOC warned that a time would come that the window of surrender would no longer be available, urging the sympathisers of the terrorists to encourage them to come out.

He added that whoever supported the enemies of the state would also be treated as an enemy by the state forces.

He said the military was more determined than ever to deal decisively with the terrorists and their supporters.

On the handling of the surrendered terrorists, Eyitayo disclosed that the Nigerian army was responsible for receiving, profiling or screening of the terrorists.

The GOC stated that afterwards,  they would be handed over to the Borno government for further action.

He explained that a sizeable number of the surrendered,  comprised wives and children of the terrorists, as well as those that were forcefully recruited into their folds.

Earlier, the director, army public relations, said the media tour was part of efforts to counter the wrong narratives and apprehensions generated by  recent surrenders of the terrorists.

Nwachukwu acknowledged and commended efforts of the troops in putting pressure on the terrorists to abandon their illicit activities. (NAN

©Copyright MOTORING WORLD INTERNATIONAL.
All rights reserved. Materials, photographs, illustrations and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior written permission from Motoring World International

Contacteditor@motoringworldng.com

Leave a Reply

Most Popular

Carmakers Shift Up a Gear in Race to Go Electric

With electric car sales soaring and regulations increasingly favouring zero-emission vehicles, a flurry of announcements today (Monday) showed how the global auto industry has...

Weekly Review: NNPC Mulls Rebuilding Roads under Tax Credit Scheme

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) started its week with an engagement with critical stakeholders in a bid to find lasting solutions to the...

Ember months: FRSC Takes Campaign to Motor Park

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) RS7.22 Suleja Unit Command in Niger has begun ember months campaign to curb fatality during the period. A statement...

Hyundai Clinches Victory at FIA World Rally Championship

Hyundai Motorsport has taken its third victory of the 2021 FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) with a superb double podium finish in Rally de...
error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: