-2.1 C
New York City
Friday, October 23, 2020
Home Motor Sports Alonso Sees 'New Beginning', as He Tests latest Renault F1 Car

Alonso Sees ‘New Beginning’, as He Tests latest Renault F1 Car

Double world champion Fernando Alonso said he was ready for a fresh start as he tested the latest Renault Formula One car in Barcelona on Tuesday.

The Spaniard, a two-times Le Mans 24 Hours winner, has not competed in a grand prix since he left McLaren at the end of 2018 but is returning next year as replacement for departing Australian Daniel Ricciardo.

“It’s going to be like a new beginning, getting surprised about the speed of the car, the braking performance, the corner speed, a lot of things that will surprise me once again,” the 39-year-old said before the filming day.

The test in the RS20 car came 20 years after Alonso first tested with Benetton — the team that then became Renault — at the same circuit.

Alonso said preparing for the limited mileage outing had been complicated by COVID-19 restrictions, with fewer days in the simulator to adjust, but the run was worth it.

“The feeling was good. I think the car is obviously outperforming me at the moment, because I cannot extract the maximum from the car,” he said after completing the maximum 100km allowed.

“Getting back to the F1 speed is not so easy. I was improving lap after lap, and trying to give feedback to the engineers. Also we had some filming to do, so there were cameras, there were drones following on track.”

Team boss Cyril Abiteboul said after Sunday’s Eifel Grand Prix at Germany’s Nuerburgring, where Ricciardo finished third for Renault’s first podium since their return as a constructor in 2016, that Alonso was champing to return.

“We received a message before, during and after the race,” said the Frenchman.

“I think Fernando is like a big shark. And as soon as he starts to feel the blood he wants to attack. That’s what I see – I see a shark very hungry.”

The Spaniard, who won his titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006, has competed in the Dakar Rally and Indianapolis 500 since he was last in Formula One. (Reuters)

©Copyright MOTORING WORLD INTERNATIONAL.
All rights reserved. Materials, photographs, illustrations and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior written permission from Motoring World International

Contact: editor@motoringworldng.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

ENDSARS Protests : President Muhammadu Buhari’s Full Address

ADDRESS TO THE NATION BY HIS EXCELLENCY, MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA ON THE ENDSARS PROTESTS, 22ND OCTOBER, 2020 Fellow Nigerians, ...

Action already taken on Old Viral Video of FRSC Encounter with Tricycle Operator: Oyeyemi

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has berated the currently re-circulation of old video of its personnel encounter with tricycle operator in Benin, Edo...

Fayemi Extends Curfew in Ekiti, Tenders apology to victims of EndSARS protests

The Governor of Ekiti State, Dr Kayode Fayemi, has extended the 24-hour curfew that was imposed in all parts of the State earlier in...

Trump Orders Review Of Auto Parts Firm Pension Cuts

United States' President, Donald Trump, has ordered a review of decade-old pension cuts to some retirees at a former General Motors parts unit. According to...