Toyota Motor North America, Inc. on Tuesday announced that, based on recent information from Takata as required by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, it is expanding its recall involving Takata front passenger air bag inflators.
The involved vehicles are equipped with a particular type of Takata inflator. According to Takata, a safety defect may arise in the front passenger air bag inflators in the involved vehicles due to inflator propellant degradation occurring after prolonged exposure to high absolute humidity, high temperatures, and high temperature cycling. This may result in an inflator rupture when the air bag deploys.
This expansion, based on the latest information from Takata, involves approximately 601,300 additional vehicles in the U.S. The following models are included:
- 2009 – 2010 and 2013 Model Year Scion xB
- 2009 – 2010 and 2013 Model Year Toyota Corolla
- 2009 – 2010 and 2013 Model Year Toyota Corolla Matrix
- 2009 – 2010 Model Year Toyota Yaris
- 2010 and 2013 Model Year Toyota 4Runner
- 2013 Model Year Toyota Sienna
- 2009 – 2010 and 2013 Model Year Lexus IS250/350
- 2010 and 2013 Model Year Lexus IS250C/350C
- 2009 – 2010 and 2013 Model Year Lexus IS-F
- 2009 – 2010 Model Year Lexus ES350
- 2010 and 2013 Model Year Lexus GX460
All known owners of the involved vehicles will be notified by first class mail by early March. Toyota and Lexus dealers will replace either the front passenger air bag inflator or the front passenger air bag assembly at no cost to customers.