-2.1 C
New York City
Saturday, December 2, 2023
Home NEWS Nigeria FG May Terminate Chinese Rail Contract

FG May Terminate Chinese Rail Contract

The Federal Government may terminate the rail contract it awarded to the China Civil Engineer Construction Company (CCECC) over the firm’s alleged failure to provide the agreed 85 per cent counterpart fund for the project.

The Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo gave the indication on Saturday, while briefing newsmen in Lagos at the end of a tour of the Lekki Deep Seaport to ascertain the level of work done so far at the port.

Sambo who frowned at the attitude of the Chinese firm said two years after the agreement was signed, CCECC is yet to provide anything out of its own 85 per cent counterpart fund.

According to him, the agreement stipulates that CCECC are to provide 85 per cent of the project cost, while the government provides the remaining 15 per cent.

“I have given them till October 2022 to fulfil their own part of the agreement or stiff sanction would be meted out on them

“How could it be said that two years after the agreement was signed, CCECC is yet to provide a Dollar” he said.

However, the Minister did not elaborate on which of the railway projects, as the CCECC are handling many such projects in Nigeria.

Most Popular

NAJA Releases 2023 Auto Award Nominees, as Suzuki, Honda, Changan Justle for Car of the year Crown

Nigeria Auto Journalists Association (NAJA) has revealed nominees for its 2023 Nigeria Auto Awards. The grand award event is scheduled for December 14 at the...

4th Nigeria Auto Guide Now in Circulation

The 2024/25 edition of the Nigeria Auto Guide has been released and now in circulation, editors of the book have announced. It is the fourth...

Race for 2023 NAJA Auto Awards Kicks Off, Event Holds Dec 14

The Nigeria Auto Journalists Association (NAJA) has slated its annual Auto Industry awards for Thursday, December 14 at the prestigious Oriental Hotel, Victoria Island,...

Coscharis Motors Unveils 2023 Ford Territory in Nigeria

ROTIMI ASHER Coscharis Motors Plc, one of the leading companies in the Nigerian automotive sector, has launched the all-new Ford territory into the nation’s market. Unveiled...