Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) will celebrate two debuts at the 88th Geneva International Motor Show*1, to be held in Geneva from March 6 through March 18, 2018: the European premiere of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT, and the global premiere of the new 2019 model year Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, which will be introduced to the European market towards the end of the year.
Both the new Outlander PHEV, and the e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT embody the cutting edge technology and expressive design MMC is making its own, today and for years to come. They also express, each in their own way, MMC’s product strategy as part of the brand’s ambitions: a carefully crafted blend of SUV expertise and electro-mobility technology, augmented with state-of-the-art system integration technologies for a progressive driving experience.
*1…Le 88e Salon international de l’Automobile Genève, with press days on March 6 and 7 and public days from March 8 through March 18. MMC will hold its press conference at 10:45 am on March 6 at the MMC stand in Hall 2.
THE NEW OUTLANDER PHEV
In 2013, and drawing on a background of 80 years of 4WD expertise, 50 years of electro-mobility R&D, and 30 years of rally winning all-wheel control technology, MMC launched the segment-defining Outlander PHEV plug-in hybrid electric Twin Motor SUV. MMC did so ahead of other car manufacturers.
Since then, boosted by positive market response and supported by continuous improvement, the Outlander PHEV has turned from a vehicle for early adopters into MMC’s core business. The Outlander PHEV has been Europe’s best-selling plug-in hybrid vehicle in 2015, 2016 and 2017*2. More than 100,000 units have been sold in Europe so far. With cumulative sales of over 140,000 units worldwide, the Outlander PHEV is classed as the world’s best-selling plug-in hybrid SUV.
Bringing together the very best of MMC technology, the Outlander PHEV is MMC’s flagship model. Its PHEV technology delivered important breakthroughs in cruising range, still a bottleneck in the EV category. The Outlander PHEV is the answer to customers who want to extend the range of their EV car journeys, and who want to go on other adventures rather than hunt for chargers.
The 2019 model year Outlander PHEV features a next generation system with both EV and SUV breakthroughs. More SUV and more EV than ever, the newest iteration unveiled in Geneva will push boundaries even further with – amongst others – a complete redesign of its powertrain, with sharper dynamics, a more refined interior, and a subtle design evolution
THE PHEV SYSTEM: PHEV 2.0
- A 2.4 Atkinson cycle petrol engine replaces the previous regular Otto cycle 2.0 litre. It allows for higher torque, smoother operation, and overall higher efficiency.
- The generator output is increased by 10%.
- The rear motor output is increased by 10%.
- The drive battery capacity is increased by 15%.
- The drive battery output is increased by 10%.
THE 4WD SYSTEM: MORE MODES
The NORMAL and 4WD LOCK modes of previous models are joined by two additional driving modes. A SPORT mode gives the driver more direct control for greater driving enjoyment on winding roads. A SNOW mode provides greater confidence on snow-covered, or slippery surfaces.
THE DESIGN: SHARP AND SOPHISTICATED
- The outside appearance of the vehicle has been enhanced with a number of subtle improvements, such as new LED tech-look headlamps, rectangular front fog lamp bezels, a more substantial front grille with the DYNAMIC SHIELD visual identity, and a front centre cover skid plate. A more elaborate multi-spoke two-tone design for the new 18 inch alloy wheels, and the addition of a larger rear spoiler give the car a sharper and more sophisticated look.
- Inside, changes underscore a quality feeling, highlighted by the new quilted fine leather upholstery, all-new hip-hugging front seats, revised switchgear, a new instrument panel, new trimming, rear A/C outlets, and more.
|L x W x H||(mm)||4695 x 1800 x 1710|
|Engine||4 cylinder 2.4L Atkinson cycle petrol 16-valve DOHC with MIVEC|
|Electric motors||Front x 1, rear x 1|
*Full data to be released at launch time
THE MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT
The MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is a technical prototype to illustrate the strategic directions of a renewed Mitsubishi Motors brand. It incorporates the strengths of SUV, EV, and the tight integration of new systems for a connected mobility customer experience.
The all-electric high-performance SUV embodies MMC’s new brand strategy under the new “Drive your Ambition” global tagline, a strategy that reflects an adventurous and progressive mindset for inspirational design and product, based on breakthrough SUVs, and driven by a fusion of electrification and system integration.